Bikes, Boats, Cars and More Cars
Father’s Day weekend seems filled with modes of transport. Cars reign supreme in Grand Junction, Holyoke, Steamboat Springs and Walsenburg. Pedal in Breckenridge, Colorado Springs and Salida. Competitions focus on outhouse races in Breckenridge and tractor pulls in Simla.
- Gold Strike Festival – Arvada, June 20-21. The 8th annual celebration of Lewis Ralston’s 1850 discovery of gold in Ralston Creek with kid and pet parades, activities and live music.
- Kingdom Days – Breckenridge, June 20-21. Gather a team, build an outhouse, then push or pull it to the finish line in Breckenridge this weekend. Part of the 1859 gold boom the Kingdom of Breckenridge parties with gold panning, historic sites and mine tours, Wild West gun fights on Main Street and activities for all ages.
- Starlight Spectacular! – Colorado Springs, June 20, 11:59 pm. Bike the night away on this non-competitive ride that begins and finishes at the Garden of the Gods Visitor and Nature Center. Routes for all ages and abilities range from 14-25 miles through downtown Colorado Springs, Old Colorado City and Garden of the Gods. Proceeds benefit the Trails and Open Space Coalition.
- Denver Juneteenth Celebration – Denver, June 20. Denver’s Five Points Neighborhood commemorate the day that Texas slaves learned they were free with a 9am parade and festival from 10am-6pm.
- Greek Festival – Denver, June 19-21. One of Denver’s largest and longest running ethnic festivals features traditional Greek music, folk dancing and tons of good food. Events include a Greek boutique and tours of the Assumption Greek Orthodox Cathedral. Don’t miss the homemade desserts including baklava.
- Highlands Street Fair – Denver, June 20. The Highlands neighborhood in Northwest Denver parties at the 27th annual free street fair from 10am to dusk. Enjoy three stages of live music, classic car show, kids fun zone, 150 vendor booths plus food and drink.
- Day Out with Thomas – Durango, June 19-21. Take a ride on a full-sized Thomas the Tank Engine on the Durango and Silverton rails. Every young railroader’s favorite engine is the star this weekend. Meet Mr. Topham Hatt, listen to music and storytellers.
- Teddy Bear Picnic – Estes Park, June 20. Teddy bears and their human companions will gather Saturday for the 25th annual Teddy Bear Picnic at Estes Ark.
- Colorado BBQ Challenge – Frisco, June 19-20. Sixty teams compete in th2 16th annual event sanctioned by the Kansas City Barbecue Society. Cooking demonstrations by grillmaster Troy Black and Southern Living magazine.
- Fort Collins Irish Festival – Fort Collins, June 20-21. Enjoy the luck of the Irish in Fort Collins this weekend with Irish culture, history, dance, music, music, music and plenty of Guinness.
- Western Colorado Vintage Motorcycle Club Rally – Gateway, June 20. First annual (?) at the stunning Gateway Canyon Resort and Auto Museum.
- Strawberry Days – Glenwood Springs, June 19-21. Colorado’s oldest community festival, 112-years-old, includes carnival, entertainment, parade, pie eating contest and ice cream social.
- Car Show – Auto Fest 2009 – Grand Junction, June 20-21. 34th annual exhibit of foreign, domestic, antique, classic, custom, rod, motorcycles, tractors and trucks in Lincoln Park. Friday evening Cruise Night.
- Dandelion Daze – Holyoke, June 19-20. Auto show, Grease Lightning parade, rockin’ the oldies, antique auction and NASCAR simulator Friday night and Saturday.
- Gold Rush Music Festival – Idaho Springs, June 20-21. Three bands play each day, each a different style – jazz, rock, big band, swing, country, oldies – all part of the year long 150th anniversary celebration.
- New Belgium FIBArk – Salida, June 18-21. America’s oldest and boldest whitewater festival in its 61st year with events from international competitors to pancake breakfast, carnival to mountain bike races.
- Simla Days – Simla, June 19-21. From Friday night dinner to Sunday services in the park this is a busy weekend in Simla. Saturday starts with pancake breakfast and ends with Dance @ Dusk.
- Rocky Mountain Mustang Roundup – Steamboat Springs, June 18-21. 21st annual roundup of Mustangs – the automobile variety. Friday autocross and Saturday Show n’ Shine with 450 Mustangs lining Lincoln Avenue.
- Telluride Bluegrass Festival – Telluride, June 18-21. Hugh festival weekend in Telluride’s summer of festivals. Ten thousand fill venues all over the mountain valley.
- The Black Diamond Jubilee – Walsenburg, June 19-21. Recall when coal was king in this southern Colorado region. Events include classic car show, baseball tournament, vendor booths and Sunday pancake breakfast.
Happy Father’s Day to fathers everywhere, especially to Bob – hubby and father of our three sons.