Reflections on the Day – Dubois to Yellowstone National Park, Wyoming
Posted 6/5 – No Internet connecions in Yellowstone
- A cozy and comfortable night at Twin Pines Lodge & Cabins in Dubois plus a continental breakfast.
- Explore Dubois – from the cemetery to the Conoco.
- Drive the Togwotee Trail – US26/287 to Moran Junction.
- Only two short delays for construction along the Togwotee Trail route – the completed sections (19 miles) are huge improvements.
- Descending Togwotee Pass and the remarkable first view of the Tetons.
- Oxbow Bend Viewpoint – great views of Snake River and the Teton Range, today we had remarkably clear reflections – see above photo.
- Lunch at Jackson Lake Lodge – Grand Teton National Park
- Grant Village Visitors Center – Yellowstone National Park
- Reservation at Old Faithful Inn – easy check-in, helpful and congenial staff.
- Old Faithful eruptions – we watched three.
- Dinner in Old Faithful Inn Dining Room – The roasted red pepper with smoked gouda soup was the highlight.
- After dinner walk around the Old Faithful area checking out gift shops and guest facilities.
- Followed by relaxing on the 3rd-floor balcony watching people, gazing down into the crackling fire and noting architectual details of the historic lodge.
- One final geyser eruption before retreating to our room.
- Wildlife of the day included deer nibbling on spring aspen leaves, elk slowing ambling across the road, an osprey sitting on her nest and a mountain bluebird flitting from limb to limb.